Our speaker this morning was Emma from WordPerfect, an expert in writing search engine optimised content for websites and email newsletters.
She writes regular blogs for a range of businesses and with the amount of research she does for each and every one, has become a fountain of knowledge on a range of diverse (and sometimes bizzare) topics.
Emma outlined some blogging tips for those of us who want to write blogs of our own.
3 Essential Steps to Creating a Blog Post
This is Emma’s secret formula! Shhhhhhh.
- Prepare – this should take approx 40% of your time and includes researching your blog and planning the structure. Remember writing essays at uni? Start with the main idea, cover 3 related topics in the content and sum up your idea at the end.
- Write – once you have planned and researched, all the info should be in your head so actually writing your blog should only take 20% of your time.
- Proof – “Kill Your Darlings”. Proofing, checking and getting others to read your blog should take approximately 40% of your time. Be prepared to cull or delete 30 – 40% of your content.
4 Main Types of Blog Posts
Blog posts can be any type of content related to your business which establishes you as an expert. Here are the 4 most common types of blog posts…
- Product based blogs – Read the latest Coastal Holiday Homes blog…
- Service related blogs – Read the latest Fireco blog…
- News blogs (personal news or industry news) – Read the Latest Tutukaka Land Care blog…
- Case Study/Project blogs – Read the latest landscaping project blog from Evergreen Landscapes…
Getting the Most from Each Blog Post
Rather than just pasting your blog content into your website’s content management system, make sure you add some or all of the following before publishing…
- An eye catching photo
- Attention Grabbing title
- Interesting subheadings throughout the content
- Internal links to product and services pages
- A Call to Action
Above all, remember who you are writing for and always target your voice and your approach to your audience.